Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wine tasting ideas


About a year ago, my brother Cio (the wine maker) brought a small group of us together for a wine tasting. The specific reason of this wine tasting was for the purpose of seeking input and comments as to his yet to be released 2003 Zinfandel. He was putting the finishing touches to his back label and was hoping to derive from this tasting, others' description of the wine.

Great reason to come together, wasn't it?

That brings me to today's topic, one in which we all can create an opportunity to bring family and friends together: Wine tasting ideas.

As an amateur wine maker (I believe I can say that now with one year's production under my belt) I find I treat my wine (be it only one bottle in 2008) like my children, only I don't drink my children. Let me put it another way; I have a great deal of pride wrapped up in the process of creation and in the outcome of that process and I want everyone to know about all my children (isn't there a t.v. soap by that name?). What a better way to share than with family and friends.

Have a wine tasting to share the wine you've personally made; you could accomplish numerous things. You can get others' response to your wine providing you with descriptive words that you can place on your home-made label. You can bring family and friends together in a different setting where they can share their stories and comments giving each one the opportunity to perhaps learn something new about one another.

As an example of this last insight; at the wine tasting held by my brother, I had met or knew most of the people there but what I learned was so much more. I learned one person has written books, including working and commenting on the works of the famous writer Jorge Luis Borges (an author at the time I was unfamiliar with). This kind man struck up a conversation with my wife Ana and they had a lot in common one of which is they both speak fluent Spanish. That wasn't all, he gave her as a gift, a book he worked on "Labyrinths" by Jorge Luis Borges. From that all to short occasion I have taken away not only memorable moments but my eyes were opened to a new author.

Now back to reasons for a wine tasting...

You can have each of your short list of friends invite one of their friends and in that way bring new people and new thinkers into your contact environment. Say you invite six close friends or family and they in turn invite six people that are new to you; what an opportunity to learn.

Here's an example of a simple wine tasting that would be fun.

Have a wine tasting to share your favorite wine and purchase two more wines of the same varietal (If your favorite Zinfandel is Perez Family Estate Zinfandel 2000, then buy two more Zinfandels from other producers but the same year 2000). Invite six to twelve of your family and friends over to the house, set out crackers and cheese and a glass of water at each setting. Let every one mingle before the tasting, and then address them before the tasting (an opportunity to improve your public speaking skills and to a small group is ideal) letting them know the process. You can either have the wines already poured (three glasses per setting) or blind pour each wine one at a time, using only one glass per individual. By blind pour I mean cover the label and/or the bottle by putting the bottle in a small paper bag. You have to jot down the order you pour the wine to keep them in track. Have the wine tasters mark down on a sheet of paper the numbers 1, 2 and 3 at the top of the page. On the right side of the page list "color" then two inches down "nose", then two inches down "taste", and two inches below "Score 1-5". You may want to make this score sheet on your computer and print it out beforehand but I think the more involved your audience is the better experience they'll have.

In filling out their individual sheets they are to start with color. Have them jot down any descriptive words that describes that color to them; ruby, straw, yellow, sunset, light, dark, clear, bright, brilliant etc.. They don't have to limit it to descriptive words in the manner one usually thinks of; one might describe the color as an emotion such as moody, calming etc.. The same step should be taken with "nose" and "taste". In that tasting my brother had, one of those present when it came to describing taste said that it reminded her of a time long ago when she was on a beach. My point is wine's description for any one individual isn't necessarily defined by descriptive words; sometimes it is described by certain memories. After the first wine go to the second and complete the steps before going to the third wine. After the three wines have been tasted in this fashion, go around the table and starting with color ask each participant to share with everyone their comments. Then take "nose" and do the same circle of contributions and then go to "taste" and then to "score".

My advice at this point is to simply to have a go at it i.e. sit them down and begin the tasting.

My last thoughts on this short post is don't limit yourselves to a wine tasting, try a wine pairing. You'll find that the benefits and reasons simply multiply. Share the load by asking others to bring their favorite wine and favorite food.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment